The Franz family
As was customary in the past, the watchmaking trade was passed on from father to son:
1710 - 1750 Johann Peter Frantz
1744 - after 1788 Johann Peter Frantz
1785 - 1845 Johann Samuel Frantz
1818 - 1896 Johann Peter Frantz
1862 - 1944 Peter Christian Franz
1904 - 1985 Otto Wilhelm Franz
The job title changed from blacksmith and watchmaker to farm worker and watchmaker to watchmaker. In the picture you can see Otto Franz as he usually received visitors in the kitchen.
The "Frantzen clock" was designed by Johann Peter Frantz jun. Made in the 4th quarter of the 19th century. Although Louis XV exchanged the rule of Püttlingen for the Wadgassen Abbey in 1766, the French language was used 'à la mode'. Engelfangen is the district of Püttlingen in which watchmaker's house is located.
The clock has an iron lever and an iron lock washer on the back plate. The work consists of an iron cage formed by four strong, square iron bars. The brass wheels are guided in two iron rod plates each in brass bushes at the front and rear. It is driven by two brass chains and two lead weights. The cast bell strikes every hour. The back of the pendulum is suspended from a gallows by a thread. The dial is an old faience dial with Roman numerals. The minutes are shown with Arabic numerals. The edge of the dial is made of an iron plate, which is decorated with pewter applications. The hands correspond to the Baroque style of Louis XIV.
Auguste is the last member of the Franz family who lived in Uhrmacher's house. Otto and Auguste signed the house of the town of Püttlingen in exchange for an annuity. After Auguste died in 1988, the Freundeskreis Alte Uhrmacherkunst e. V. founded so that the Saarland Clock Museum can be opened on November 9, 1992.
The picture shows Auguste, as the older Püttlinger still know her when she was standing in the two-part door to chat with passers-by.