In 1845 the master watchmaker Ferdinand Adolph Lange began training watchmakers in Glashütte. The German watchmaker school in Glashütte was founded in 1878.
Image: The construction drawing of two Graham tunnels was made on December 6th, 1906 by the student Ed. Luther at the German School of Watchmaker in Glashütte. It is a Graham escapement with exchangeable pallets and one with a solid anchor and a large center distance.
In 1868 the sons Richard and Emil Lange joined the company of their father Ferdinand Adolf Lange. After a few years, the watch manufacturer A. Lange & Söhne achieved world fame and competed with the Swiss watch industry.
This was followed by the establishment of further watch factories in Glashütte: J. Assmann Deutsche Anker-Uhren-Fabrik Glashütte, Union Glashütte / Sa., Deutsche Präzisionsuhrenfabrik Glashütte and others.
Image: The share certificate no. 1738 of the Deutsche Präzisions-Uhrenfabrik Glashütte certifies that Mr. Julius Schlegel Jr. received a clockmaker in Saarbrücken as a share of one thousand marks. The document was signed on October 15, 1921 with three signatures for the board of directors and the board of directors.
The clock of the company "A. Lange & Söhne, Glashütte Nr. 38635" was produced in 1904. The case is made of 585 gold. It has an enamel dial, Arabic numerals 1 to 12, small seconds, 10 graduation and gold hands in the Louis XV shape.
VEB - Glashütter Uhrenbetriebe GUB
On the last day of the Second World War (May 8, 1945), Glashütte was bombed by Soviet planes and partially destroyed. Most of the watch specialists were on the run to Switzerland.
After the end of the Second World War, the Glashütte watchmakers were expropriated by the Soviet occupying forces and, from 1951, the Glashütte watchmaking operations were combined in a VEB Glashütte watchmaking company (GUB). The individual Glashütte watch brands disappeared from the market. The quality of the watches deteriorated over time.
Kugeluhr: Burnished iron case with magnifying glasses on both sides, 17-stone armature movement, Breguet hairspring, probably Molnjar movement, black steel Breguet hands, manufacture: 1970s
Since 2008, the "German Watch Museum Glashütte" has been located in the watchmaking school, which was closed in 1951 and has since been continued as an engineering school for precision engineering.
After reunification in 1989, many companies settled in Glashütte again - often with the support of capital from the Swiss watch industry. New arrivals: A. Lange & Söhne, Glashütte Original, Union Glashütte/Sa., Nautischeinstrumente Mühle, Nomos Glashütte, Bruno Söhnle, Tutima, Wempe and others.
As an example of the value of the watches, you will find the "Datograph Flyback" from A. Lange & Söhne on the next page, which is available from €70,000.